Beer isn’t just a beverage, it’s a lifestyle. Our social lives revolve around sharing pints with friends. We’re always on the hunt for the next great brewery. We plan vacations around the pubs we can visit and the beers we can try.
The best beer-related activity is, of course, actually drinking beer. Following close behind, though, is reading up on all-things beer. Now, we know what you’re thinking. How can something so solitary be the second-best activity for such an inherently social passion? The answer falls squarely in the “knowledge is power” category. Books are a source of information, inspiration, and appreciation — all of which help us get the most out of our beer-drinking experiences.
By no means could a single post capture the fantastic (and ever-growing) list of books on this beloved beverage, but we can certainly get you off to a very solid start. So, dust off your library card, fire up your kindle, or head to your favorite book store. It’s time to get reading!
Get to know the classics
- The New World Guide to Beer by Michael Jackson
- The Beer Bible by Jeff Alworth
- Tasting Beer: An Insider’s Guide to the World’s Greatest Drink by Randy Mosher
Learn about the legends
- Beyond the Pale. The Story of Sierra Nevada Brewing Company by Ken Grossman
- Brewing Up a Business: Adventures in Beer from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery by Sam Calagione
- The Widmer Way: How Two Brothers Led Portland's Craft Beer Revolution by Jeff Alworth
Scratch your travel itch
- The Beer Bucket List: Over 150 Essential Beer Experiences from Around the World by Mark Dredge
- The United States of Craft Beer: A Guide to the Best Craft Breweries Across America by Jess Lebow
- The Great American Ale Trail: The Craft Beer Lover’s Guide to the Best Watering Holes in the Nation by Christian DeBenedetti
- The Beer Kitchen: The Art and Science of Cooking, & Pairing, with Beer by Melissa Cole
- Beer and Food: Bringing Together the Finest Food and Best Craft Beers in the World by Mark Dredge
- The Craft Beer Cookbook: From IPAs and Bocks to Pilsners and Porters, 100 Artisanal Recipes for Cooking with Beer by Jacquelyn Dodd
For aspiring beer brewers
- How to Brew by John Palmer
- The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian
- Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels
And to continue your education...
- The Comic Book Story of Beer: The World's Favorite Beverage from 7000 BC to Today's Craft Brewing Revolution by Jonathan Hennessey, Mike Smith and Aaron McConnell
- My Beer Year: Adventures with Hop Farmers, Craft Brewers, Chefs, Beer Sommeliers, and Fanatical Drinkers as a Beer Master in Training by Lucy Burningham
- Drink Beer, Think Beer: Getting to the Bottom of Every Pint by John Holl
Alas, these books just barely scratch the surface. We’ll be posting more of our favorites in the future. In the meantime, you can continue cultivating your reading list by checking out hundreds of reviews in All About Beer Magazine’s book review section on their website.